Sunday, March 27, 2005

Eskimo Pies


Yukon Sky
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
So I've clocked up 3000 kms and I am still heading North. This country is so fucking huge. I'm now in Dawson City, about to make my final assault on the arctic circle. Been driving 3 days through the most incredible forests and glaciers. Majestic beauty.For the last 2000 kms, there has been only one real town. All the rest are just tiny little outposts, with a gas station and maybe a truckers motel, but this place is a fully preserved, living gold mining town. Its unbelievable really, all the buildings are in mint condition, a hundred years old, and my hotel has wireless internet access.


Yukon Glacier 2
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
Tomorrow I'm going to drive to Inuvik (forecast max. -22 degrees), capital of Eskimoland. Oh, and for those of you who are going to tell me not to call them Eskimos, and that I should be calling them Inuit (like some politically correct sucks already have), well, I am going to have to tell you to fuck right off. I prefer to call them Eskimos.


Yukon Glacier
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
And if there are no Eskimo Pies available when I get there, I am writing a letter to the Peters Ice Cream Company telling them that their fraudulent behaiviour has made me drive 4000 kms out of my way and I want my money back. Or a lifetime supply of Eskimo Pies. (An Eskimo Pie is an Australian ice cream by the way. Would love one right now, actually)


1998 Fire Devastation
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
After driving for days through thick green forests, I got to this section of devastated forest. It went for a hundred kilometres and was totally mindblowing. Black toothpicks against the white snow as far as you could see...millions of acres of forest carnage, And what really blew me away was the sign that said it happened in 1998. Still no regrowth. After that, there were loads more of these scenes. It was only when you got to the forest fires from the 60's that there had been recovery. Unbelievable.


South to Alaska
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
When you see a sign like this, you know your a long way north...


Yukon Gas Station
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
If you are filling your petrol tank and a 12 year old girl zooms up on her snowmobile and starts filling up on the next bowser, you have to take a photo. And you know your a long way from home.


Tricky at 150
Originally uploaded by Mr. Chalk.
This is hard to do when your going 150


So its off to the arctic in 3 hours. Wish me luck !!!

5 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure be a bogan, but i think Peters has changed them to inuit pies, which were definitely available at the drugstore in Aklavik. Incidentally, in case you get lost and die out there , could you post a copy of your last will and testament, just so newhouse doesn't get all of your secret stash ?

 
At 11:07 AM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you knew mr chalk you'd now how funny that is.....

 
At 11:09 AM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics chalky looks mental.

 
At 10:41 PM, March 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygod... hey newhouse how the fuck are ya??

 
At 3:57 AM, July 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home